What is Airflow Yoga & The Birth of Airflow Yoga
A combination of traditional yoga poses, pilates and spine alignment with the use of a hammock, Airflow yoga defies gravity and allows you to perform various yoga poses that may be difficult to do on the ground, but easier in mid-air.
Airflow Yoga™ works a lot on the alignment of foundation yoga poses on ground level and then slowly work towards going up the hammock for some anti-gravity yoga poses.
Airflow Yoga™ classes are structured to have a minimum of 30 minutes of floor exercises with lots of emphasis on warming up on different areas of the body such as spine stretching, shoulder joints stretching and strengthening, lateral stretches of the body, hips stretches and challenges the core stability and legs & arms strength; and then adjourn to the last half of the class by standing or sitting on the hammock to perform suspended yoga poses in air to further challenge stability and focus.
Airflow™ Yoga & Pilates was created by James and up till date we have 12 franchise and licensed branches around Asia Pacific.
A little background about Airflow™ Yoga…..
For the past years, James has been observing the worldwide birth, growth and sequential rapid spread of yoga in the air with fascination – how all these started from the Western influence. At the very early stages of his life as far he can remember, as a teenager he was intensely immersed in the arts, dance and gymnastic but also found himself in several injuries aftermath. Over the decades, he has resorted to several therapeutic modalities such as Yoga and Pilates to mend his spine and injured shoulders. So, when he was introduced to working yoga poses in the air, he initially had much doubt over it but nevertheless with an open mind to try it out. He first underwent some intensive courses from the circus troops in Australia where he learnt the “real” fundamentals of trainings and safety standards.
JW Wellness very own trademark Airflow yoga story began in 2015. With thorough studies and several experimentations of what works the best for both teacher & students in classes; for the purpose of introducing students to work in the air, he ensured that the essence of the classes he is going to offer to all his studios must come from a safety aspect and therapeutic but yet fun and improve flexibility in yoga. He has brought in his years of experience in Spine Therapy into the essence of Airflow™ Yoga where he incorporates grounding foot work, core strengthening of pilates and yoga poses into this fun yoga air modality.
Many people would make comments that with the help of the hammocks, it not only helps in their alignment but also assist them to reach deeper into their yoga poses. After the first few session, most would comment they feel much taller and lengthened and more space in their joints! That was exactly the goal- to create “traction” in the spine. Yes having said all of the above, we have slowly build their upper body strength to eventually climb up the hammock either in standing on the hammock, inverted and flying! And playing with transitions and feel that Freedom!
All our certified trained instructors are required to follow strict standard protocol systems in their class sequencing to ensure safety comes first.
Airflow Yoga™ provides a safe effective anti-gravity yoga workout with well-thought sequence of flow exercises from foundational workouts to build strength on the weak areas of the body and eventually bring your strength to the next level of workout – backbends, balancing and inversion.
The design of the logo- being a butterfly signifies growth and transformation and this is the whole vision of Airflow™ Yoga & Pilates for our students.
Why Airflow Yoga?
Here are the Top 10 Health Benefits of Airflow Yoga:
- Total body workout: Due to the nature of Airflow yoga movements, almost all the body parts are forced to move and stretch. Muscles are toned and redefined, and joints are regenerated and strengthened due to these movements.
- Psychologically beneficial: Just like almost any other workout, Airflow yoga helps rebuild your emotional system because it clears the mind and relieves stress due to its meditative state. It also helps you combat stress throughout the day and increases your creativity, which leads you to develop your own artistic skills.
- Improves flexibility: Airflow yoga helps you to move more freely, with less effort, by counteracting gravity. Suspension in the air releases tension on the bones and muscles, increasing flexibility and deepening your practice. Suspended yoga strengthens core muscles and increases spinal and shoulder flexibility.
- Spinal Therapy & Heals back problems: It gives you the chance to hang freely, allowing your spine to lengthen. With less strain on your back while doing the exercises, it eases tension in the spinal cord and hip joint, helping you feels better. Airflow yoga hammocks bring the benefit to open the thoracic region of the spine and thus create lengthening on the lower back to relieve backache.
- Increases strength: Airflow yoga improves strength and flexibility, which carries over into other daily activities. The core workout is a beneficial cross training, as it helps runners increase stamina and be able recover faster.
- Puts you in a great mood: Another key benefit of doing Airflow yoga is that it gets your adrenaline going while going against gravity. It also releases “happy” hormones like serotonin, endorphins, oxytocin, dopamine, which boost your mood and help you feel more energetic.
- Improves balance: While going against gravity can be exciting, Airflow yoga also helps with balance and stability in daily activities. Balance is a key component in daily activities, and Airflow yoga helps maintain a good balance both inside and out.
- Aids digestion: The different types of stretches and movements help improve the digestive system, thus helping in healing various digestion-related issues, including constipation and indigestion.
- Old age and heart disease: Airflow yoga improves the circulation of blood, thus combating aging and its symptoms. Airflow yoga also helps detoxify the circulatory and lymphatic systems, which lowers the onset of various cardiovascular issues.
- Improves memory: Airflow yoga fortifies your neural connections, thereby, rendering better memory power. In a way, practicing Airflow yoga can make you smarter!
- Yoga Alignment: Airflow yoga brings great alignment benefits and awareness to the body; with the assistance of the fabric to alignment certain sections of the body
- Shoulder traction: The fabric helps stretch the shoulder joints and thus helps stretches the shoulders and arms regions and its respective nerves around it.
Airflow Yoga™ Important Highlights to students:
- Not suitable for pregnant ladies
- Postnatal clients who had caesarean; can only attend Airflow classes after 6 months.
- Low blood pressure or high blood pressure or heart complication clients need a doctor’s clearance prior joining class
- Remove anything that are sharp around hands or wrist or ankles or necklace which could damage the fabric or cause danger to the student
- Wear tight fitting clothing to avoid the clothes hanging over your face in inverted poses
- Always check the carabiners are hooked in a proper manner prior usage.
- Airflow Yoga™ or Airflow teacher are not accountable to any injuries or any mishaps during class and students should take precautions at all times during class according to their body conditions. Students shall bear all risks during the class.